Wednesday, August 30, 2006

I’m Seeing Red

After almost 15 years living surrounded by white walls (which, considering my mental state … and my husband’s… white walls are quite fitting), I decided to get adventurous and choose an actual color for my kitchen: a deep burgundy (the actual color is vin-something-or-other...diesel?).

I should've known I'd be in for trouble when I got the paint at Home Depot. First of all, the girl who was taking care of me opens the can to add the dye/pigments, and she spills some of the paint all over the counter. A sign of trouble to come? Then, after she mixes the paint, she shows me the color and it's...well... purple.

OK - the manager who's working with the girl tells me that's normal for reds/burgundys. What he FAILED to tell me is that you have to prime the walls with a grey-tinted primer. This is so key!

So I go home to my white-primed walls and start rolling on the paint because I'm so excited to erase all signs of white, and I end up with walls that look like a bottle of cheap red wine exploded all over them (which might be ok since I will probably be sucking down a lot of wine to blur my vision so my walls look better).

The spouse and I are now 5 coats deep… on top of 2 coats of white primer….and going in deeper…By the time we’re done painting, the walls should be about 6 inches thicker than they were before we started.

I shoulda just left the walls white and slapped "REDRUM" across 'em to add a splash of color instead of going the whole 9-yards. Baby steps.

(I love this quote that someone posted on some site where some people were "seeing red" like me: "Everyone knows that reds are hard because they require so much pigment." Sure... everyone knows... and everyone knows a know-it-all will get his face slapped with a red-paint-coated paintbrush...)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home