Thursday, August 24, 2006

How do you like your cartoons? Smoking or Non-Smoking?

"Tom And Jerry Quit Smoking"
Mark Sweney
Monday August 21, 2006
MediaGuardian.co.uk


"Smoking scenes are to be edited out of classic Tom and Jerry cartoons, following a complaint to the broadcast regulator that they are inappropriate for a show aimed at children.

The complaint was about two separate cartoons - Texas Tom and Tennis Chumps - transmitted repeatedly this year on Turner Broadcasting's children's channel, Boomerang.

Boomerang's audience is made up largely of children - 56% are aged four to 14 years old."


And so the article continues....

Tom and Jerry quit smoking

I never had the urge to smoke from watching Looney Tunes as a kid growing up (well, I use the term 'growing up' loosely when it applies to myself). What I'M upset about is the whole "draw a hole on a mountainside and run through" it trick that the Road Runner used to pull... because I could never get that down! I spent hours...days...trying to pass through hillsides on which I drew large, gaping holes... and all I ended up with were sore shoulders, smashed bicycles, and headaches. If you're going to bitch about removing ANYTHING from a Looney Tunes cartoon... please! Get your priorties straight! At least you can really puff on a cigarette and it works!

What's next? Pluto gets stripped of its rights as a planet?? Oh, wait...this just in....

"Pluto gets the boot"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home